Lyndon tops Maritime, falls to Husson

Lyndon tops Maritime, falls to Husson

BANGOR, Maine – Lyndon State scored the final seven points of the game Friday to deal Maine Maritime a 76-73 setback in North Atlantic Conference play.

A Bradley Reed layup-and-one gave Maine Maritime a 73-68 lead with two minutes showing on the clock. They were the Mariners' final points of the contest. An intentional foul call on Andy Ball sent the Hornets' Justin Winston (Washington, D.C.) to the line with 1:36 left in the game.

Winston missed on the front end, but cashed in on the back end to make it a four-point contest. Keeping possession following the foul, the Hornets' Steve Gantt (Washington, D.C.) drew a foul and hit on both shots to make it 73-71 with 1:26 left in the game.

The Mariners turned the ball over on the ensuing possession, leading to a Gantt miss from three, but Winston was there to collect. His putback tied the game at 73-73. The Mariners missed on two shots on the next possession. The Hornets' Ben Sackett (Lyndonville, Vt.) collected the second miss and drew a foul. Sackett hit the first and missed the second, but Winston once again secured a key rebound.

The Hornets turned it over after ten seconds, giving Ball a shot to give his team the lead, however, he was just off the mark with six ticks in the game. Jason Gray (East Thetford, Vt.) collected the rebound for Lyndon and was sent to the line where he hit on both to make it the 76-73 final. David Lord's turnaround heave from beyond the midcourt stripe missed just left, sealing the Mariners' fate.

Gantt led his team with 19 points to go with five rebounds. Gray had a team-high nine rebounds. Winston had 14 points and seven rebounds, five of which came on the offensive end. Sackett finished with 12 points and five rebounds, as did Devyn Baranauskas (Waterbury, Conn.). Baranauskas recorded six assists and four steals.

On Saturday, Husson, lead by Brad Libby, took their final regular season contest from Lyndon . The Eagles started slow, but managed a 35-32 lead at the half. Libby opened up the game for Husson scoring their first eight points of the night, and would finish with a game-high 18 points.

The Hornets would pull out to and early 7-0 lead just a minute and a half into the game and after head coach Warren Caruso called a timeout exactly 30 seconds later to regather his Eagle squad. Over the next six minutes Lyndon's lead would grow, and bounce between 11 and 13.

Husson quietly climbed back throughout the final 10 minutes of the first half, using the shooting of guard Daeshawn McMorrin, Wes Murphy and Libby. McMorrin cut the Hornet lead to 8 with 4:18 to go in the frame as neither team scored for almost two minutes. The six-footer out of Connecticut stopped the scoring drought with yet another jumper at 4:30, this time a three-pointer to reach within five.

Murphy and Libby each added a tripple to give Husson their 35-32 lead heading into the locker rooms.

Husson trailed by three, four and a half minutes into the second but the turning point for the Eagles came in the form of a four point play by none other than Brad Libby. Husson took the one point lead and never looked back, controlling the game the rest of the way and finishing with a 86-64 victory to close out the regular season.

The Hornets were lead by juinior forward Gray who scored 18 points, grabbed six boards and went 3-3 from the charity stripe. Asa Smith (Cheltenham, Md.) added 10 points, seven rebounds and three steals in the losing effort. Lyndon returns to the hardwood Wednesday when they face top-seeded Castleton on the Spartans home floor. A game time has yet to be determined.