Eagles Sting Hornets

Eagles Sting Hornets

BANGOR, Maine – The Husson University men's lacrosse team battled wet and windy conditions as well as their opponents, but proved better than both, picking up the win 16-8 over Lyndon.

The Eagles beat the Hornets in ground balls (52-18) and faceoff wins (21-6); both of those numbers were helped in large part by Dillon Shaw who went 19-5 at the dot, and picked up a game and career-high 14 ground balls. Offensively, 12 different eagles found their way into the goal column, but Husson was led by Ben Potter who had a hat-trick in the win.

Matt Sweeney continuted to boost his team-leading point total with three more today on a goal and two assists, while Ben Landry also had three points with opposite numbers. Chris Mansour (Mansfield, Mass.) had four goals in the loss for Lyndon State.

Husson opened up the scoring 2 minutes and 9 seconds into the game when Mitch Heaps found the back of the net, assisted by Landry. Landry found his first goal about two minutes later, unassisted, and the Eagles were up 2-0. Tony Diaz scored the next one with 8:01 left in the first off a nice set-up by Chris Lloyd.

The Eagles kept up the pressure, converting on a man-up opportunity when Alex Ryan let one rip that found twine, and gave Husson the 4-0 advantage with 5:08 left in the quarter. Exactly two minutes later, Sweeney was playing down low, and found the cutting Landry for the fifth Eagle goal of the period. Husson struck again when Potter got things going a minute later, tucking it past the goalie for a 6-0 lead.

The Hornets kept grinding to end the quarter, and eventually Mansour would get Lyndon on the board with just 7 seconds remaining, and the quarter would end with Husson up 6-1.

The Eagles were the first to score in the second, Dylan Tkatch put one in 3:46 into the quarter. Lyndon wouldn't go away, and scored the next one with 5:23 remaining in the half when Luke Haskell (Ellsworth, Maine) found Dan Randall (Delmar, N.Y.) for their second tally of the afternoon.

Husson answered back with the man advantage, Sweeney scored off a nice dish from Chris Pelletier to take the Eagle lead back to 6, 8-2. With just 1:38 remaining in the half, Mansour netted his second, assisted by Max Ercole (St. Johnsbury, Vt.). Before Lyndon could keep chipping away at the lead, Potter got it back for the Eagles 34 seconds later off a nice pass from Ethan Pratt, and Husson went into halftime leading 9-3.

Husson scored five in a row to open the second half the right way for the Eagles. The first two came with an extra man, the first off a set play to open the period as a Hornet penalty carried over into the 3rd, and it was just as Coach Tim Murphy drew it up, Pelletier dodged and scored in the opening seconds of the half.

The next goal came on another special team play, Sweeney found Ryan with 12:48 left to go in the third, and Husson led 11-3. Potter got another one just as the clocked ticked to 10:00 remaining in the period, stretching the Eagle lead to nine. Nearly eight minutes of goalless play ensued, and Husson finally got the next one as Doug Belisle, generally a defenseman, showed some skill with the shorty, ripping a frozen rope top-shelf to beat the goalie, and give the Eagles a 10 goal lead.

Pratt would score the next one just 20 seconds later, putting Husson up 11 with 1:51 to play in the third. Lyndon struck back with 1:18 left, when Luke Norman-Lacroix (Barre, VT), scored and Lyndon went in to the final intermission down 14-4.

Lyndon State would get the first goal of the fourth quarter just 45 seconds into it, Nick Gralenski (Gorham, N.H.) assisted Randall for his second of the day, trimming the margin back down to 9. Husson got it back with 11:41 to play, Derek Reny netted one to put Husson up by double digits again.

Lloyd added another one for insurance with eight minutes left to play for his second point of the day. The Hornets would get the final three scores, the first with a man advantage just 44 seconds later, Norman-Lacroix picked up the ground ball off goalie's save and stuffed it back between the pipes.

Mansour added two more late, the first with 4:25 left, and the next one with only 15 seconds to play, but it wouldn't be enough, the score would go final, 16-8 in favor of the Eagles.