2018-19 DUE DATES for medical documentation (physical, sickle cell results, and insurance card)
- FALL SPORTS submit required documentation prior to August 1.
- WINTER & SPRING SPORTS submit required documentation prior to August 15.
- Mid-year new/transfer students submit required documentation prior to December 15
Documentation can be sent to:
Athletic Training Staff
Northern Vermont University-Lyndon
1001 College Road
Lyndonville, VT 05851
Student-athletes are NOT permitted to participate if any medical information/screening is incomplete or academic requirements are not met. Students must also comply with general Northern Vermont University requirements. Information for new students can be found on the First Year Experience website.
All Student Athletes
- Compliance with NVU-Lyndon Health Services requirements, including submission of the Vermont State Colleges Health Form.
- Insurance card: Front and back copy of an up-to-date card.
- Medical Screening: Performed on campus by LSC Athletic Training staff. In addition to a physical screening, concussion testing, and review of medical documentation; student-athletes will create (or update) a SportsWare account and will need insurance information and contact information for TWO emergency contacts at the time of completion. Screening sessions are scheduled by team and occur upon arrival to campus.
- Returning student-athletes may update SportsWare prior to arrival:
- Go to www.swol123.net
- Do NOT set up a new account! Review and update “Med History” and “My Info.”
Additional Requirements for First Year & Transfer Student-Athletes
- Physical: A physical is only required prior to the first year of participation and must be completed no more than 6 months prior to the first day of varsity practice. Physicians must use the VSC Medical Form or the provider’s standard form. A note will not be accepted.
- Fall Sports (soccer, volleyball, cross country, women’s tennis) Dated on/after Feb 20, 2018
- Winter sports (basketball) Dated on/after April 15, 2018
- Spring sports (baseball, softball, men’s tennis, track & field, lacrosse) Dated on/after March 1, 2018
- Sickle cell trait status: Provide actual test results or a signed letter from your physician
Full time (12+ credit hours) student-athletes starting college for the first time are eligible to play sports in their first semester. After completion of the first semester, student-athletes must maintain specific standards to remain academically eligible:
- Enroll in at least 12 credits during each semester of participation
- Through the first 29 credits (freshman year): 1.75 GPA
- Above 30 credits (sophomore and up): 2.00 GPA
- Earn at least 12 credits per full time semester of enrollment
All first-semester student-athletes AND all student-athletes with a GPA under 2.5 must attend study hall 6 hours per week. Study hall may be completed in the library, with a tutor, or other academically appropriate setting (music room, math lab, professor’s office, etc.).
Initial academic eligibility is determined by academic standing at your PREVIOUS institution. After initial enrollment (in your second semester and beyond) at Northern Vermont University, the academic eligibility standards listed above apply. Transfer students must also comply with all medical requirements.
- To begin the process to be cleared to play, complete the Transfer Questionnaire with your coach.
NCAA COMPLIANCE MEETING
All student-athletes must attend an NCAA Compliance meeting on campus and submit related forms prior to competition each year. Student-athletes under 18 must have a legal guardian co-signer.