Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Hornets roll past Green Mountain for first NAC win

Hornets roll past Green Mountain for first NAC win

Castleton, VT - In a game played at Castleton University, the Lyndon State College men's lacrosse team jumped on Green Mountain College with eight unanswered first quarter goals and ran away with a 20-3 North Atlantic Conference victory on Saturday afternoon.  The Hornets improve to 2-6 overall and 1-2 in NAC play wiht the win, while the Eagles fall to 0-6 overall and 0-3 in conference play.

Shea Jones (Hull, MA) got the Hornets on the board at 1:01 into the contest, finding the net with an assist from Zachary Carey (Exeter, NH).  Carey scored two minutes later off of a Konnor Bick (North Syracuse, NY) feed.  Off of the ensuing faceoff Brandon Hunter (Glastonbury, CT) found Spencer Aubin (Sharon, MA), who found the net to make it 3-0, Lyndon.

Bick then scored his first goal of the afternoon with 9:52 remaining in the opening quarter, converting a feed from Jones.  Connor Brennan (Southington, CT) scored a minute later, with an assist from Logan Parenti (Salem, NH).  At the 5:40 mark Jet Magri (Lincolnville, ME) forced a Green Mountain turnover, then got it back from Aubin eight seconds later and put it in the net to extend the Hornet advantage to 6-0.  Jones and Aubin each found the net once more in the quarter, and the Hornets led 8-0 after one.

Lyndon kept the presure on at the start of the second quarter, as Hunter picked up a ground ball off of the faceoff and fed Bick, who converted to make it 9-0, Hornets.  Green Mountain finally got on the board off of the faceoff that followed, as Deven Rogers (Oxford, ME) picked up the ground ball, went to goal, and scored unassisted.  Lyndon responded with four unanswered goals in the quarter, one each from Anthony Townsend (Pembroke, MA), Parenti, Jones, and Bick, to send the Hornets into halftime with a 13-1 lead.

Bick recorded his fourth goal of the game with an unassisted goal after creating an Eagle turnover at the 9:50 mark of the third quarter.  Townsend, Joseph Ricco (Hudson, NH), and Parenti followed with goals to put Lyndon in front, 17-1, with 3:44 to go in the quarter.  Rogers brok the Hornet run with his second goal of the game with just over a minute to go in the third, but Lyndon held a 17-2 lead entering the final period.

Chris Surdam (Plymouth, MA) scored Green Mountain's third goal of the game at the 11:36 mark of the final quarter, but the Hornets closed things out with goals from Aubin, Ricco, and James Ceglia (Oyster Bay, NY) to account for the final score.

Marcus Bessette (Pembroke, NH) stopped 12 of 15 shots to pick up the win in goal for Lyndon.  Green Mountain goalie Chelsea Wimble (Colchester, VT) stopped 13 of 33 Hornet shots on goal.  The Hornets outshot the Eagles, 54-25, and held a 31-23 advantage in ground balls.  Green Mountain struggled to clear the ball out of their own end, only doing so successfully nine of 23 times, while Lyndon cleared the ball 20 of 23 times.

The Hornets return to action on Monday afternoon when they travel to Albertus Magnus College for a 4:00 pm start in a game that was rescheduled from March 9th. Green Mountain will travel to Johnson State College on Wednesday.