Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Aubin's five goals not enough as Hornets fall to Mitchell in overtime

Aubin's five goals not enough as Hornets fall to Mitchell in overtime

New London, CT - The Northern Vermont University-Lyndon men's lacrosse team rallied from a two-goal deficit to force overtime, but Mitchell College found the net 38 seconds into the extra session to come away with a 9-8 non-conference win on Saturday afternoon.  The Mariners improved to 1-4 on the season, while the Hornets remain winless in three starts.

Mitchell won the opening face-off in overtime and quickly converted the winning goal off the stick of Jacob Anderson.

Kyle Marsh led Mitchell with three goals and three assists while Anderson and Brandon Snyder finished with two goals apiece.  Jade Shields and Ethan LePain also found the back of the net on the day.

Spencer Aubin (Sharon, MA) paced Lyndon with five goals while Conor Brennan (Southington, CT) added a goal and an assist.  Anthony Townsend (Pembroke, MA) and Benjamin Cheever (Johnson, VT) accounted for the Hornets' other two scores.

Lyndon never led in the contest but also never trailed by more than two goals at any point.  Mitchell took the early lead behind a man-up tally by Marsh before Aubin tied the game with the first of four first-half goals. The Mariners led 4-3 after the opening quarter and 6-5 at halftime.

In the third quarter, the Mariners padded a one-goal lead in the final minute of the stanza as Marsh recorded the hat trick with another extra-man goal.  The tally gave Mitchell an 8-6 margin heading into the final 15 minutes of regulation.

A Mitchell penalty gave Lyndon a spark in the fourth as Aubin scored with 10:51 to go with the man advantage.  One minute later, Cheever tied the game as the Hornets pulled even at 8-8.

Goalies Marcel Quinlan of Mitchell and Aaron Florence (Mandeville, LA) of Lyndon each made saves down the stretch to keep the game locked at 8-8.  The Hornets had the final possession of regulation but failed to produce a shot.

In overtime, Adam Liudzius won the critical face-off to give Mitchell the ball.  After Mitchell switched up personnel, Anderson began the attack by streaking into the offensive zone from the wing area and muscling past his defender.  He then unleashed a shot from 10 yards out that found the back of the cage for the game-ending goal.

Mitchell held a 38-31 advantage in total shots.  Quinlan finished with 12 saves to record his first career victory in goal.  Florence made 14 stops, 10 of which came in the second half, to keep the Hornets in the game.

The Hornets open North Atlantic Conference play at Thomas College on Tuesday.  The opening face-off is set for 4:00 pm.