Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Hornet men unable to recover from early deficit in loss to Husson

Hornet men unable to recover from early deficit in loss to Husson

Northfield, VT - The Northern Vermont University-Lyndon dug a 7-1 first quarter hole and was unable to recover, falling to Husson University, 21-10, in a North Atlantic Conference game played at Norwich University's Sabine Field on Sunday afternoon.  With the win the Eagles improve to 3-4 on the season and 2-1 in NAC play.  The Hornets fall to 1-5 overall and 1-1 in conference.

Husson's Brad Brink scored an unassisted goal a minute in to ignite an early four goal outburst for the Eagles.  Gunner McAllister, Matt Verrill, and Adam Littlefield also scored before the game was six minutes old.  Lyndon's Anthony Townsend (Pembroke, MA) took a pass from Shea Jones (Hull, MA) and got the Hornets on the board with a man up goal at the 5:01 mark, but three straight manup goals, two from Littlefield and one from Zach Glazier, extended Husson's lead to 7-1 after one quarter.

The Hornets built on their lead in the early moments of the second quarter.  Verrill found Jaden Wells for a goal 45 seconds into the period and Littlefield found the net again 26 seconds later to make it 9-1.  The Hornets' Benjamin Cheever (Johnson, VT) got one goal back with an unassisted score at the 11:42 mark, but Husson put four more goals on the scoreboard before halftime to take a 13-2 lead into intermission.

Neither team was able to break through over the first several minutes of the third quarter.  Lyndon's Spencer Aubin (Sharon, MA) recorded the first goal of the second half at the 8:22 mark, and added another unassisted goal a little over a minute later to cut the Husson lead to 13-4.  The Eagles built their lead back to 12 with three straight scores, one each from Blaine Miller, McAllister, and Wells.  The Hornets responded by outscoring the Eagles, 4-1 over the final 3:42 of the quarter, with Jones finding the net twice and Aubin and Nick Clark (Swanton, VT) each scoring once.

After neither team was able to score for the first eight minutes of the final quarter, Husson put any thoughts of a Hornet comeback to rest with three straight goals.  Wells found Glazier for a score, then Littlefield converted in a man up situation for his sixth goal of the game, then found Wells for a score.  Aubin then found Jet Magri (Lincolnville, ME) and Jones for a pair of Hornet goals before Wells capped the scoring with his sixth goal of the contest.

Wells was also credited with three assists, while Glazier finished with three goals, four assists, and seven ground balls to pace Husson.  Aubin and Jones scored three times each for Lyndon.  Justin Servidori (Yarmouth, MA) and Brandon Hunter (Glastonbury, CT) led the Hornets with eight and seven ground balls respectively.

The Eagles outshot the Hornets, 56-47.  Husson goalie Matt Martin earned the win, making 14 saves over three quarters before giving way to Kyle Prior for the final quarter.  Lyndon goalies Aaron Florence (Mandeville, LA) and Camden LeClair (Colchester, VT) each played a half and combined to make 12 saves.  The game was penalty filled, with Husson being flagged for 11 infractions and Lyndon being called for ten.

The Hornets return to play next Saturday with a North Atlantic Conference contest at SUNY Canton.  The opening faceoff is scheduled for 1:00 pm.