Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Hornet men's lacrosse opens up a big early lead and cruises past Becker

Hornet men's lacrosse opens up a big early lead and cruises past Becker

Leicester, MA - The Northern Vermont University-Lyndon jumped out to a 13-1 halftime lead and cruised to a 23-6 win over Becker College on Thursday afternoon.  With the win, the Hornets improve to 2-6 on the season, while the Hawks remain winless in seven contests.

Taner Onor (East Montpelier, VT) got the Hornets on the scoreboard when he took a pass from Spencer Aubin (Sharon, MA) and found the back of the net 2:30 into the opening quarter.  Shea Jones (Hull, MA) then found Aubin for a goal, then Nick Clark (Swanton, VT) scored off of an assist from Onor to make it 3-0, Hornets, with 9:30 remaining in the quarter.

Becker got on the board at the 8:51 mark on a Matthew Guerin goal.  Lyndon responded with three more tallies in the period, one each from Onor, Aubin, and Jones, giving the Hornets a 6-1 lead after one quarter.

The Hornets continued to dominate play in the second quarter.  Onor staqrted things with his third goal of the game less than a minute in.  Anthony Townsend (Pembroke, MA) followed with an unassisted goal, then Jet Magri (Lincolnville, ME) scored off of an assist from Clark to make it 9-1, Lyndon.  Back to back Aubin goals, followed by goals from Onor and Jones, extended the Hornet advantage to 13-1 at halftime.

The Hornets outshot the Hawks 30-8 in the opening half.  Hornet goalie Aaron Florence (Mandeville, LA) made two saves in the half, while his Becker counterpart, Daniel Whittenburg, made nine stops.

As the second half began, the Hornets picked up right where they left off.  Onor's unassisted goal at the 13:45 mark was followed by Townsend's second tally of the game and an unassisted goal from Jones.  Becker's Lewis Jaworski broke the Hornet run momentarily with an unassisted goalbut Aubin and Magri found the net a little more than a minute apart to put the Hornets in front, 18-2.  The Hawks' Tyler Forest picked up an unassisted goal with 47 seconds remaining in the quarter, and the Hornets took an 18-3 advantage into the final stanza.

The Hornets taked on five goals in the fourth quarter and the Hawks added three, accounting for the final score.  Aubin scored twice in the period to give him seven goals on the day.  Onor picked up his sixth goal and Jones his fourth.  Florence also picked up a goal after being relieved in net by Camden LeClair (Colchester, VT).

Aubin and Jones each finished the day with five assists, while Onor recorded four and Clark three.  Townsend picked up ten ground balls, while Brandon Hunter (Glastonbury, CT) anchored the defense with eight ground balls and five caused turnovers.  Cameron Sangster had nine ground balls for Becker.  Florence earned the win in goal for the Hornets.  Whittenburg took the loss and was credited with 21 saves.

The Hornets outshot Becker 69-20 and forced 30 Becker turnovers while committing 14 themselves.  Lyndon also held a 45-34 advantage in ground balls and a slim 17-16 edge in faceoffs won.

Lyndon will return to North Atlantic Conference play when the Hornets host SUNY Delhi on Saturday afternoon at 1:00 pm.  The game will be played on Sabine Field at Norwich University in Northfield, VT.