Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Hornet men hold off UMaine-Presque Isle for first win

Hornet men hold off UMaine-Presque Isle for first win

Lyndonville, VT - The Northern Vermont University-Lyndon men's soccer team held off a furious comeback attempt by the University of Maine at Presque Isle to earn a 4-3 victory on Varsity Field Saturday afternoon.  The win was the Hornets' first in seven starts this season, and evens their North Atlantic Conference record at 1-1.  UMPI falls to 3-5 on the season and 0-2 in conference.

The Hornets got on the scoreboard 13:30 into the game when UMPI was called for a foul in the box.  Hunter Torrey (Newbury, VT) then converted the penalty kick for his first goal of the season.  Lyndon made it 2-0 in the 28th minute when Dawson Stebbins (Irasburg, VT) slipped a pass by Owl goalkeeper Caleb Thompson and Torrey deposited it into an open net.

The Owls nearly cut their deficit back to one in the 34th minute, but Hornet keeper Caleb Derbyshire (Barton, VT) made a spectacular diving save on a bending shot from UMPI's Chris Udobi that looked destined for the net.  Four minutes later Stebbins took advantage when UMPI was unable to clear the ball following a shot from Jacob Nelson (Guildhall, VT) and fired a shot past Thompson to make it 3-0 Hornets heading into halftime.

Just over five minutes into the second half Thompson turned away Torrey from in front of the net.  Torrey then poked in the rebound for his thrid goal of the afternoon and Lyndon looked to be firmly in control with a 4-0 advantage.

UMPI got on the scoreboard in the 53rd minute when Udobi took a long ball from Lucas Husser, beat his defender, and sent a shot past Derbyshire from just inside the box on the left side.

In the 69th minute Derbyshire turned away the Owls' Jacob Worthley right in front of the goal, but Worthley put in the rebound to cut the Lyndon lead to 4-2.  Just over two minutes later the Hornets' lead was down to 4-3 as Udobi took an indirect kick just outside the box and Andre Rossignol fired a shot into the left side of the goal.

UMPI kept the pressure on Lyndon in the game's final minutes, as they looked for the equalizer.  However Derbyshire and the Hornet defense stiffened and held the Owls at bay.  UMPI earned a corner with under a minute to go, but the Owls weren't able to convert, and when Lyndon blocked Zach Boyle's shot in the final seconds the Hornets had escaped with the win.

The Hornets had the better of the play throughout much of the contest.  Lyndon had a 30-18 advantage in shots and an 8-6 edge in corners.  Derbyshore made ten saves in goal to earn the win, while Thompson stopped 11 shots in taking the loss.

The Hornets will travel to New England College for a non-conference contest on Monday evening.  Kickoff is set for 7:00 pm.